We depend on dedicated volunteers for general help in our office, special events, marketing and fundraising, as well as coordinating and supporting counselling and community programmes.
If you have time, flexibility and want to make a difference in the lives of young people and families, please contact us. We will find the right opportunity to make good use of your skills and talents.
Become a Family Centre volunteer. Become an agent for positive change.
FAMILY CENTRE SPECIAL EVENTS
Volunteers are the backbone of our special events. Volunteers add the “fun” to fundraising and bring their skills in hosting, event management, technological support and more. Our events volunteers directly contribute to raising funds to sustain our programmes and services, and help raise community awareness of Family Centre.
Events this year include:
Bermuda Triple Challenge – Sunday, March 17, 2024
Volunteer to support our Beyond Rugby teens and families through the Bermuda Triple Challenge! Sign up as a Family Centre volunteer to marshal the Chubb Royal Challenge Race in Dockyard on Sunday, March 17, 2024. Family Centre is one of six charity recipients of the Bermuda Triple Challenge 2024! To receive full funding, we need 40 volunteers to assist as race marshals and to help set up and break down the race obstacles. Sign up
Passport to Dine Around the World – Saturday, September 2024
Join us for a fun night and help us make our signature event a success. Volunteer roles include event planning committee, event setup and breakdown, guest check-in, and assistance with silent auction, entertainment and other event features.
Cup Match Tag Day – Wednesday, July 31, 2024
Give your time at one of our tagging stations across the island for one hour or more. Wear your team colours – and have fun! All funds raised from Family Centre’s Cup Match Tag Day goes towards our Counselling services for children and families and our critical outreach programmes: Youth Leadership Academy, Beyond Rugby Bermuda and Beyond Yoga Bermuda. Thanks to the community’s support, our programmes and services are provided at no cost to families!
Host a Corporate Tagging Station takeover! Brand your tagging station representing your company’s participation while providing volunteers to support Family Centre’s annual pre-Cup Match Tag Day, our biggest and longest-running community fundraiser event.
PGA Tour Bermuda Championship – November 2024
Sign up as a volunteer for Family Centre at the Bermuda Championship and get to witness some of the world’s greatest golfers play inside the ropes. Thanks to your support, Bermuda Championship will donate $200 per volunteer to Family Centre! This amazing partnership between Family Centre and the Bermuda Championship will help us make this a wonderful event for our children and families and for our island home. Various volunteer roles available for 3 half day shifts. Registration for 2024 will open soon – Learn more.
Coffee for a Cause / Cocktails for a Cause – Throughout the year
These small, intimate group settings truly help people in the community to understand our mission to strengthen families and children. Host a Coffee Morning or Cocktail Evening at your Home, Office, or virtually on Zoom! We can take care of event registration and we are happy to provide a presentation on Family Centre programmes and services.
Visit our Events page to see what’s coming up next!
1. BEYOND RUGBY BERMUDA:
A Partnership Programme with Family Centre, CedarBridge Academy and The Berkeley Institute Academy: As part of Beyond Rugby, students are provided with academic support and coaching before they head to the rugby field. We are consistently seeking individuals to provide students with both general academic support and targeted academic tutoring by specific subject areas. Once a year, we also seek volunteers to support youth in topics such as resume writing, networking, interviewing skills and public speaking.
Beyond Rugby has 4 core pillars: Academic Motivation, Social and Emotional Growth, Character Development through Rugby, and Vision and Exposure Building. We are always looking to connect youth to new ideas, people, experiences, and skill building opportunities that align with these four pillars. Therefore, we seek volunteers and organizations who are keen to share their passions, skills, talents and experiences and who can help us connect youth with opportunities.
2. YOUTH LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (YLA):
Family Centre offers a 3 –phase Youth Leadership Academy programme. This programme is strength based and rooted in the philosophy that all youth deserve the opportunity to fulfill their leadership potential. YLA aims to give at-risk youth a chance to fulfill their full potential, to become self-sufficient, productive citizens, and community leaders.
- Phase 1: Youth Leadership Intensive (YLI): This is an annual week long programme that aims to bring youth and adults together in order to increase the understanding both adults in the community and youth participants have of themselves and others. It also teaches teens skills such as public speaking, making positive choices, cooperation, and habits related to setting and pursuing positive life goals. We seek volunteers from multiple sectors of the community to play active roles in the YLI training week. Volunteers are required to participate in an orientation before the week begins and be present every day from 3:30pm to 7:00pm during the training week.
- Phase 2: Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) Foundations: This is a 5-month programme that exposes youth to new and fun experiences, and empowers them to make positive decisions and realize their full leadership potential. Volunteers are required to support curriculum objectives such as introducing youth to a broad range of careers, participating in a session to counteract stereotyping, and meeting with small groups of youth on topics such as positive choice making. Volunteers help make this programme a dynamic and interactive learning experience. This programme is offered from March to June, from 3.30pm to 5.45pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Phase 3: Youth Leadership Community (YLC): During high-school we offer our YLA youth ongoing transformative experiences and individualized support to help them realize their unique leadership style and perform at their best in and out of school. We seek volunteers to act as ongoing career mentors, to provide academic tutoring, and to act as job coaches to youth in the month of August as part of our summer student work-placement programme, Building My Future. As this programme is based on the individual strengths of youth, other opportunities will always exist at any given time.
For more information, contact Deneca Zuill, Community Team Leader and Lead Coordinator for Youth Leadership Academy Programme, at email@example.com.
1. FAMILY GROUPS:
Family Groups are run as intensive modules that are available to any parent or guardian and their child in the community. The modules are on different topics promoting positive parenting through various exploration of various family issues. This group is geared to parents who want to improve family relationships and learn more effective ways to develop their parenting skills. There will typically be 5-6 Family Groups on different topics annually. Topics include parent stress management, parent-adolescent bonding, discipline, co-parenting & blended families and budgeting. Volunteers are needed to shadow families, help facilitate curriculums with the children and to help set-up and break-down for the group. Family Groups take place on Monday evenings from 5:30-8:00 at Family Centre.
Ideal volunteers include college students working towards a degree in child related fields or professionals who have experience working with children and families. Active Family Group volunteers will be invited to participate in a Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) orientation course. Please note that limited volunteer positions for this service are available.
2. SEASONAL VOLUNTEER PROJECTS
Back to School Give Back Drive for Family Centre client children and families
- Fundraising for and preparing back to school supplies for client children and youth in need.
Adopt-A-Family Christmas Drive for Family Centre client children and families
- Participating in the “Adopt a Family” holiday drive involves helping to meet the wish list needs along with some special wish list gifts for children in need during the holiday season.
General assistance encompasses a variety of tasks. It can range from simple office assistance to special projects that pop up from time to time. Volunteers will be contacted as needed for these volunteer tasks.
With all our volunteer opportunities, regular commitment is encouraged. Flexibility is possible.